Understanding and treating nervous system diseases and injuries is a major world challenge for the 21st century. Today, our medicine can provide some relief. For tomorrow, we need medicine to prevent, cure and repair.
The Scientific Program of the Institut du Cerveau – ICM is equal to the challenge
- Prevent, i.e. prevent manifestation of the disease.
- Cure, i.e. slow, at best stop, the evolution of the pathological processes.
- Repair, i.e. reconstruct the neuronal circuits after damage to the nervous system.
- Relieve to attenuate or eliminate symptoms such as memory loss, language disorders, pain, anxiety, and depression.
The objective is to do research at an international level, combining scientific creativity and therapeutic aims. The Institut du Cerveau – ICM’s scientific program is based on the following principles: create a “combat team” for research, which implies:
- Recruiting the best French researchers, as ranked by the National Agency for Evaluation of Research and Higher Education (AERES), and the best foreign researchers, as evaluated by the International Scientific Advisory Board.
- Place at researcher’s disposal advanced technological platforms and an efficacious Biological Resources Centre.
- Developing multidisciplinary “translational” research in association with industrial partners and the best research centres in and outside France.
Define the most important research axes.